Today while passing through Victor we noticed a wine tasting room sitting a little ways back off the main street and decided to stop. Glad we did!
The Barrel Room offers Treleaven Wines made by King Ferry Winery located on the east side of Cayuga Lake. The winery produces multiple award-winning wines. After tasting their wines you can see why. They were probably the smoothest wines we have ever tasted in the Finger Lakes area.
Here are the wines we tried:
- Silver Lining Chardonnay NV – This is an unoaked and extremely crisp refreshing Chardonnay.
- Main Chardonnay 2011 – Lightly oaked but not really noticeable. The aging process this winery has makes the oak mellow and mingles very well with the wine. A truly wonderful experience! We left with a bottle of this one.
- Reserve Chardonnay 2011 – The buttery creamy notes come through with a slight oak taste again. It is amazing how the oak just blends and does not stand out. A very mellow wine that would stand on its own. Excellent! Yep, left with one of these too. :o)
- Vintner’s Cuvee Chardonnay 2011 – You do pick up more oak flavor in this chardonnay. It has caramel and toffee notes. A nice Chardonnay but the oak seemed to take first place to me.
- Gewurztraminer 2012 – Had a little spice not overwhelming. Blended well with the smooth taste.
- Dry Riesling 2012 – The Granny Smith Apple notes really come through with a crisp dry finish.
- Reserve Riesling 2012 – A very balanced mineral-tasting Riesling. We preferred the Dry Riesling just because it was drier. They both had a wonderful taste!
- Dry Rose 2013 – A light refreshing wine that is unoaked with a hint of spice notes.
- Melange 2013 – An extremely mellow and very smooth red. Taste of cherry, Earthy fig, raisin, and berry. Also, picked up on a peppery taste which may be coming from the fig and spice.
- Pinot Noir 2012 – This red was moderately oaked with cherry notes and soft tannins. It tasted just as it was described!
- Meritage 2012 – A classic Bordeaux style blend with a hint of smoke, blackberry, cherry, and spice. A full-bodied red that pleases! This one is a definite keeper.
- Reserve Cabernet Franc 2011 – My husband described this wine as “manly” and I have to agree. It is described as having blackberry, cherry, smoke, leather, and spice flavor. It is full bodied and really smooth and mellow. To me the smoke flavor took center stage.
The wine tasting experience was one of the best we have had yet. All the bottles are lined up in front of you with a different clean glass to try each of your wines. This is so nice as you get the full flavor of each wine without your last wine getting in the way or having to rinse your glass. We have only had this experience twice during all our wine tastings. The guy was extremely knowledgeable of not only the wines but one of my favorites outside of wine, TEA! We had a lovely time and excellent conversation!